The incumbent in this position assists with the accounting and financial reporting function of the Credit Union including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and regulatory compliance, month-end close, internal and external financial reporting and supporting internal/external audits and regulatory exams. Work involves moderate difficulty in completing research and analysis to facilitate the internal/external financial reporting processes, proactively identifying and implementing process improvements, and executing the month-end close and account reconciliations. Resources to do the job require reliance on knowledge of all processes related to accounting and financial reporting, the ability to interpret and clearly explain financial information, and ability to understand and apply GAAP and regulatory rules. Direction is received from the Manager of Financial Reporting.
- Assists with all aspects of the organization’s internal and external financial reporting processes.
- Leads the completion of the quarterly call report (Form 5300) and annual IRS informational return (Form 990) as well as contributes to the completion of monthly internal management reporting.
- Ensures the financial results are timely and accurately reported in compliance with GAAP, regulatory rules and guidelines, and corporate policy and procedures.
- Interprets and explains financial information to management.
- Maps the general ledger accounts to the appropriate line items on the internal/external financial statements and regulatory filings.
- Assists with the month-end close process including preparing/reviewing journal entries and completing assigned balance sheet reconciliations within set timeframe.
- Assists with coordination of external and internal audit reviews and regulatory exams.
- Continuously assesses accounting and reporting processes to improve efficiency through automation or consolidation of processes.
- Works with cross-functional peers to develop appropriate process improvement initiatives.
- Responsible for the integrity of the financial reporting processes, ensuring that the proper controls are in place and operating as designed.
Leads projects or represents Accounting and Financial Reporting department on tactical initiatives, as assigned by the Manager of Financial Reporting, and proactively ensures that issues related to business function are addressed, including development of a project plan with expected time requirements and objectives.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and 5-8 years financial accounting and reporting experience. CPA and/or MBA preferred. Big 4 "audit" experience and/or SEC reporting experience highly desirable. Previous SOX experience also desirable. Thorough knowledge of GAAP required. Extensive financial analysis skills required, including variance analysis, forecasting, budgeting, and financial modeling. Ability to multi-task and deal with heavy volume period with tight time parameters. Must possess strong analytical, people, written and oral communication skills, and above average judgmental capabilities.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office required (Advanced Excel, Word, Powerpoint), experience with mainframe accounting systems and computer literacy. Ability to work effectively with associates at all levels within the organization. Maintains integrity and ethics in all actions and conversations with or regarding credit union members and their accounts. Complies with privacy act directives.