The successful candidate in this position will play a key role in executing the mission of the Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR) department. More specifically, this individual will be responsible for performing various aspects of the accounting function, including support of the month-end close process, as well as assisting with the credit union's internal and external financial reporting processes. Work involves some difficulty in completing research and analysis to facilitate the accounting and financial reporting processes, proactively identifying and implementing process improvements, and ensuring that proper controls are in place and operating as designed. Resources to do the job require reliance on the ability to understand and apply GAAP, the ability to interpret and clearly explain financial information, and the ability to problem-solve and identify process improvement opportunities. Direct supervision is received from the Manager - Financial Reporting.
Accounting / Month-End Close
- Responsible for all facets of compensation and benefits accounting
- Responsible for managing, tracking and amortizing all prepaid expenses
- Responsible for the monthly review and analysis of all non-interest expenses to ensure proper accounting and to identify and explain significant variances to plan and/or trend
- Supports month-end close process including preparing/journal entries and completing assigned balance sheet reconciliations within set timeframe
- Fixed Asset Accounting including tracking and identification of monthly fixed asset purchases, deployments and retirements. Leads annual fixed asset physical inventory
- Support the preparation of the monthly Board of Directors reporting
- Support the preparation of the quarterly call report and other external reporting
- Collaboratively works with other personnel in the functional areas to ensure appropriate procedures and processes are in place to facilitate financial reporting in accordance with established regulatory and credit union standards.
- Support the research and preparation of other ad hoc financial reporting
- Represent AFR on cross functional initiatives, as assigned by the Manager of Financial Reporting, to ensure that proper controls are in place, the financial impact is properly captured in the financial statements, and information for financial reporting is readily available. This will include participation in user acceptance testing and sign off prior to implementation
- Continuously assesses accounting and reporting processes to improve efficiency through automation or streamlining of processes. Work with cross-functional peers to develop and implement appropriate process improvement initiatives
- Assists with internal audit, external audit and regulatory examinations
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in accounting and 3-5 years experience in an accounting or financial reporting role. CPA certification or CPA candidate desired. Exposure to financial reporting and SOX preferred. Public accounting and/or financial institution experience a plus. Advanced skills in Excel, intermediate skills in Word and PowerPoint required. Position requires a detail-oriented individual with excellent communication skills. Must be focused and able to work independently.