The mysterious origins of St. Valentine’s Day
Feb 15, 2012
- Everyone knows that February 14 is Valentine's Day, a traditional time for loved ones to exchange cards, candy, flowers and gifts. But nobody knows for certain how this celebration got its start.
Valentine’s Day: Believe it or not
Feb 14, 2012
- Last year, the typical American spent $116.21 on Valentine’s Day merchandise and festivities and this year’s price tag is expected to be even higher, according to the National Retail Federation. Here are some Valentine’s Day stats that may or may not surprise you.
The top 9 ways we celebrate Valentine’s Day
Feb 13, 2012
- About 75% of all Americans participate in Valentine’s Day. Here’s how we do it.
Helping kids buy their first car the right way
Feb 08, 2012
- Remember the first time you bought a car? A first-time buying experience should be an exciting experience. Here's a quick plan to rein in your kid's enthusiasm and raise his or her negotiating skills.
Tips for parents whose kids move back home
Feb 06, 2012
- In 2011, 5.9 million Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 lived with their parents. And 18 million unmarried Americans between 18 and 34 lived with their parents.
Happy Valentine’s Day from our members
Feb 02, 2012
- At Alliant, everyday is a Valentine’s Day – a chance to provide members like you with friendly, efficient and personalized service. Here are some examples of Valentine's Day-like notes that our members sent us.
Inventory your belongings
Jan 27, 2012
- One of the most important things you can do to protect your belongings is to know what you have. You may have a homeowners or renters insurance policy that will pay to have your household items replaced if they are stolen, lost or damaged.
Staying secure with your Social Security Number
Jan 26, 2012
- It's in your best interest to protect your SSN whenever possible. Here are some general rules of thumb for when to give your SSN and when not to.
Credit card newbies: Don’t become a debt head
Jan 23, 2012
- Keep in mind that a charge on your card is a loan. So, before you make any purchase, ask "Would I go take out a loan for this?" Despite the horror stories, prudent use of a credit card is a good thing.
Deciding what to purchase: beware of the small purchases
Jan 22, 2012
- Individual financial success is largely determined by purchasing and savings habits, and in particular, the mundane, day-to-day decisions we make on everything we purchase.