Camp Like a Champ
July 23, 2012 | Alliant Credit Union
Looking for an affordable vacation to take with your significant other this summer? Think about going camping! With these simple tips, you'll be prepared to camp like a champ.
1. Find a campground with availability. Many people don't know they need to reserve a camping space ahead of time. Be sure to reserve the nights you are hoping to camp before leaving for the grounds. This will ensure there is a spot for you upon arrival!
2. Plan for rain. Somehow, it always seems to rain on camping trips. Be sure you plan accordingly by packing plenty of rain gear and extra dry necessities like socks and under garments.
3. Ask about fire restrictions. Some campgrounds only allow stoves, not open flames. When booking your reservation, ask about the fire rules and if they allow open flames, be sure to bring your own stash of dry firewood. This way you know your party has enough wood to get a fire started until you can collect wood from your surroundings.
4. Pack plenty of food and water. A weekend in the wilderness is a relaxing retreat, but without food and water no one will enjoy themselves. Be sure to pack plenty of dry food, in the event you cannot access a fire to heat or cook food.
5. Leave the camp the way you found it. Camping is about being one with nature, so be sure you bring your own garbage bags and clean up after yourself. Your campground should be just as clean when you leave as it was when you arrived.
Now you are ready to camp like a champ and enjoy a weekend in nature with your loved one! Don't forget the basics like sleeping bags, bug repellent and flashlights!
If you have additional tips for camping, please share them with us on Facebook!
© 2012 Alliant Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.