Pack A Fun, Affordable Picnic
June 11, 2012 | Alliant Credit Union
A great activity for the whole family is to head to the nearest forest preserve and have a picnic! Take advantage of the sunny, warm temperatures as well as seasonal ingredients! Don't forget to pack the sunblock. Here are some of our summer salad favorites:
• 2 lbs. potatoes (5 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
• 1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
• 2 Tbsp. vinegar
• 1-1/2 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1 cup thinly sliced celery
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (optional)
1. Cover potatoes with water in 4-quart saucepot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
2. Combine Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
• 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
• 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
• 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
• 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
• 3 bananas, sliced
• 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
• 1 cup seedless grapes
• 2 cups blueberries
1. Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
2. Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
• 2 cups cooked rotini pasta, drained (about 1 cup uncooked)
• ??1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• ??1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• ??1 cup cubed provolone cheese
• ??1 carrot, cut into julienne strips
• ??1/4 cup minced red onion ??
• 1 (2 1/4 oz.) can sliced pitted black olives
• ??1/4 pound salami, chopped
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• ??2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
• ??1/2 teaspoon salt ??
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• ??1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• ??3 to 4 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, or to taste
1. Combine pasta, red pepper, green pepper, cheese, carrot, onion, olives and salami in a large bowl.
2. Thoroughly mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, mustard and basil in a small bowl.
3. Pour dressing mixture over pasta. Toss to coat.
4. Cover and refrigerate at leat 3 hours before serving.
If you have great picnic recipes to share with us, please visit us on Facebook!
SOURCES: hellmanns.com, allrecipes.com, momswhothink.com
© 2012 Alliant Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.