Some do’s and don’ts of credit card use
March 05, 2012 | Alliant Credit Union
Credit cards 101
- Do keep only one or two major credit cards and pay off the balance every month. If you can't pay the whole lump sum, at least make the minimum payment to keep your interest charges down.
- Do use credit cards conservatively. Don't charge anything you won't be able to pay for promptly - unless it's a genuine emergency. For emergency spending, give yourself a timetable, such as three months, in which to pay it off.
- Do make your payment several days before the due date to ensure you won't be tagged with a late fee.
- Do notate and subtract all credit card purchases in your check book to help ensure you can cover the credit card bill when it's due.
- Do enjoy the financial power your credit card gives you. Just use it responsibly.
© 2012 Alliant Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.