Alliant’s Foundation Donates $200,000 In Fiscal Year 2011
August 26, 2011 | Alliant Credit Union
After donating approximately $200,000 to various charities and educational organizations during its first fiscal year (FY 2010), Alliant Credit Union Foundation granted an additional $200,000 in FY 2011, which ended June 30 of this year. This contribution total was announced by Foundation Chairman and Alliant Credit Union President & CEO Dave Mooney. The 501c3 not-for-profit Foundation, which began operations in the summer of 2009, was established through a $4 million grant from Alliant Credit Union. Both the Foundation and credit union are based near Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.
Foundation Vice President Wayne Rosenwinkel added, "The purpose of our Foundation is to promote economic empowerment and self-sufficiency of people, especially in the communities where Alliant Credit Union members and employees live and work." Causes eligible for Foundation financial support include: 1) Those related to education, with an emphasis on financial literacy; 2) Charities helping those in need of assistance; 3) Investment in community development projects and programs, especially those in underserved areas.
Following is a partial list of organizations receiving Foundation grants during the recently completed Fiscal Year 2011.
- Operation HOPE, a national organization that promotes financial literacy and economic opportunity among minorities and others
- Hadley School for the Blind, an international educator of the visually impaired
- Foster Care to Success (formerly Orphan Foundation of America), which helps former foster children become successful adults
- Y-Me Breast Cancer Organization, helping those affected by breast cancer
- Prescott Elementary School, Alliant's partner in the Chicago Public Schools Corporate Partnership Program. The Foundation provides much needed school supplies and school break reading books for Prescott's Family Book Program
- Business and Professional Women's Foundation, which strives to empower working women to achieve their potential, including women veterans reentering civilian life
- United Airlines Foundation, by helping to fund North Pole Fantasy Flight festivities for seriously ill children
- The Posse Foundation, which identifies youth leaders in low income areas and sends them in groups to attend designated colleges around the country
- Refugee Transitions, whose purpose is to help with educating and empowering refugee and immigrant families in the San Francisco Bay area
- Special Olympics, providing year-round sports activities for people with intellectual disabilities, giving them opportunities to develop physical fitness, and experience the joys of success and acceptance
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the worldwide leader for research to cure type 1 diabetes, and the largest funder and advocate of diabetes science worldwide
- Make a Wish Foundation, which provides special gifts and occasions for kids with life threatening conditions
- NADAP, a New York City based charity assisting employment related causes that benefit individuals, business and government
- Max Schewitz Foundation, which provides Screens for Teens, a free EKG testing program for high school students in the Chicago area. The procedure can detect hidden heart conditions that can be life threatening for student athletes and others
- Autism Speaks, an organization dedicated to increasing awareness of autism, and donating time, energy, resources and financial support for those affected
- Mychal's Playground, a New Jersey non-profit dedicated to enhancing school learning environments through the funding and building of school playgrounds, and outdoor classrooms
Many of the Foundation's beneficiaries are charities suggested by Alliant Credit Union employees, whose lives or family members have been affected by the causes being supported. In addition, the Foundation has a Matching Donations Program, which matches individual Alliant Credit Union employees' charitable donations up to $200 per year.
"We look forward to our Foundation making additional contributions that provide support to charitable organizations and other worthy causes, enhancing the quality of life in communities we serve," Mooney added.
© 2011 Alliant Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.