Alliant Credit Union Foundation Announces Winners Of Social Media Charity Campaign
November 07, 2011 | Alliant Credit Union
"People voting to give back on Facebook® have decided how our Foundation will divide $40,000 in grants among four selected charities," stated Alliant Credit Union Foundation Board Chairman David W. Mooney, while discussing the Foundation's recent ‘Make It Count' charity campaign. He said online voting over the past two months determined the amount for each selected charity as follows: $13,000 to BPW Foundation; $11,000 to Make-A-Wish Foundation®; $9,000 to Scholarship America®, $7,000 to DoSomething.org®.
Alliant Credit Union Foundation, a separate, independent legal entity established by a grant from Chicago based Alliant Credit Union, selected charities for the program from those submitted for consideration by credit union employees, according to Mr. Mooney, who is also president and CEO of the credit union. The charities were selected based on their missions being in line with that of Alliant's Foundation, which is to promote economic empowerment and self-sufficiency of people.
- Business and Professional Women's Foundation: Joining Forces for Women Veterans is dedicated to improving the workplace and career transition and advancement of women veterans. They will use the grant from Alliant Credit Union Foundation to launch a mentorship campaign to initially link 10,000 mentors with women veterans and military spouses across the country
- Make-A-Wish Foundation grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
- The grant will help Make-A-Wish Foundation fulfill its vision that every eligible child receives a wish.
- Scholarship America is a nationwide organization providing students with scholarships and other educational support to get into and graduate from college. This grant will allow them to further their mission by providing increasing support and resources for students.
- DoSomething.org loves teens. They are creative, active, wired...and frustrated that our world is so messed up. DoSomething.org harnesses that awesome energy and unleashes it on causes teens care about. Almost every week, DoSomething.org launches a new national campaign. The call to action is always something that has a real impact and doesn't require money, an adult, or a car. With a goal of 5 million active members by 2015, DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the US for teens and social change. Join at www.DoSomething.org.
While summarizing the "Make It Count" program, Mr. Mooney said, "It's been great having our members and others interested in charitable causes help determine distribution of these Alliant Credit Union Foundation donations. He added, "The voting was done on Facebook to emphasize social media, a growing, viable communication channel for our Foundation and credit union."
Alliant Credit Union Foundation is based in Chicago at the headquarters of Alliant Credit Union, located near O'Hare Airport at Touhy Avenue and Wolf Road. The Foundation, registered as a 501c3 not-for-profit corporation, was established in 2009 via a $4 million grant from Alliant Credit Union, which is America's sixth largest credit union based on asset size with $7.9 billion in assets. The September 2011 issue of Money Magazine named Alliant Credit Union to its list of Best Banks of 2011. Alliant has locations in the Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, NJ, San Francisco Bay, Tempe, AZ and Washington, DC areas.
© 2011 Alliant Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.