A Financial Guide For College Grads Starting Their First Jobs
May 17, 2012
- May is primetime for graduation season. Across the country, millions of students are receiving their well-earned college degrees, signaling the culmination of almost two decades of education. But how prepared are these young adults to manage their life beyond term papers and office hours? Financial literacy among graduating students is at its lowest levels ever, which is disconcerting when considering the economic environment graduates are entering into. So here are a few pieces of advice, financial and otherwise, to help graduates navigate that next big step.
Willis Tower Branch Closed May 18 & 21
May 17, 2012
- Alliant Credit Union branch in the Willis Tower will be closed on Friday, May 18, 2012 and Monday, May 21, 2012.
Summer vacation on a budget.
May 14, 2012
- It is time to start researching flights & shopping for bikinis - the summer travel season is rapidly approaching! However, not everyone has room in their budget this summer to jet set around the globe with the family in-tow. Here are some ideas for summer vacations on a budget.
Budget: It’s time you made one.
May 11, 2012
- Living paycheck to paycheck is not uncommon and finding finances for an extra date night or home improvements doesn't always come easy, which is why it is time for a budget. The term shouldn't be foreign; it also shouldn't be feared. Budgets are a great way to understand where your money is coming from, where it is going and how you can prepare for any expenses, planned or unplanned.
Alliant Credit Union Foundation donates Biz Kid$ TV Series DVDs to Prospect Heights Public Library
May 09, 2012
- The first four seasons of Biz Kid$, an Emmy award winning public television series that teaches kids about making and managing money, are now available at the Prospect Heights Public Library. DVD sets containing over 50 episodes were provided recently through a donation to the library by Alliant Credit Union Foundation, according to Foundation Vice President, Wayne Rosenwinkel.
Financial Wellness: How To Get Fit
May 04, 2012
- Many times when we think of "wellness" we immediately think of physical or mental wellness. While these things are important to health, financial wellness should also be consistently well balanced.
What are you saving for?
Apr 26, 2012
- Oftentimes, savings accounts are for the down payment on a home, a new car, education and retirement. While these are all excellent reasons to save, it is important to have a reserve "cushion" in case of emergency. This "cushion" should, ideally, contain funds to cover three to six months of living expenses in the event that an accident occurs or employment is compromised.
7 Great Tips for Teaching Your Child About Money
Apr 20, 2012
- Money management isn't just for adults. Kids may not have to worry about paying bills, but if they're earning an allowance, receiving birthday money from Grandma, or working a first job, they're already managing money. You can help them make the most of it by teaching them how to budget, spend, and save. Studies continually show that adults make better financial choices when they learn good habits in their youth. Here are seven tips from the financial literacy experts at NerdWallet to get you started.
It pays to be a member of Alliant – $265 a year
Apr 13, 2012
- The Alliant Advantage is more than just a slogan. The average Alliant member earns a financial benefit of $265 per year (and the average household, $506) for doing business with Alliant Credit Union - compared to doing business with a bank, according to a national economic study prepared by the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
What To Know Before You Enroll
Apr 12, 2012
- While your teen buzzes on and on about the possible college he or she will be attending in the fall, you swallow the lump in your throat and think, "Who is going to pay for that?". College tuition is no small fee and many teens don't understand the amount of student debt they are about to encounter. Here are five tips to share with teens before they pack their bags and head to the dorms.